How do you know which parts of your online presence are successful, and which parts need improvement ? Here are some first steps to get you started.
- List out the ‘things’ that you want your customers to do on your web site. For example: buy something, request a quotation, contact you for support, view a catalog.
- For each of the things, itemize the offerings. For example: The SKU and price for each purchase items, the topic of the support request.
- Categorize each of these things by the action that a visitor might take. For example: View offer, make request
- Create a spreadsheet that lists the ‘things’, their options, and possible actions. Rank each line in order of importance to your business.
- Use a Web Analytics Tool, to add these as “site events” to your web site. Create reports to track progress. Wikipedia has a great article about Web Analytics, that gets you started on thinking about how to track online behavior.
- Each month, review the analytics report for both the site traffic and the site events. Plot the results in a spreadsheet, and build trend lines
Please do contact me to learn more about how you can use Web Analytics to measure your online success, and create actionable insights.